The U.S. Department of Justice (USDOJ), Office of Justice Programs (OJP), Office for Victims of Crime is funding the Tribal Victim Specialist Internship Program (TVSI) managed by the American Indian Development Associates, LLC (AIDA). The TVSI is intended to further OVC's mission of cultivating and training a workforce integral to increasing access to victim services for American Indian and Alaskan Native (AI/AN) crime victims in hard-to-staff positions at tribal sites located in AZ, CO, NM, TX and UT.
TVSI Goals are to:
- Provide college students in social science majors, such as criminal justice, psychology, social work and sociology an opportunity to work in Indian Country victim assistance programs.
- Increase the possible employment opportunities for students in these majors.
- Increase the capacity of tribal service programs to provide services to their communities.
- Provide training opportunities for both the tribal program advocates and student interns.
- Provide opportunities for students to apply theories learned in the classroom to actual practice.
- Create contacts with programs for future employment options.